Quote of the Moment:
“Albert Einstein was to have said: ‘Religion without science is blindness, science without religion is deafness.’… One is tempted to conclude that those people who make modern science their religion are dumb.”
Student Practical Work Experience
Pros and Contras
A list of positive and negative points collected by students who did a prac work on Kachana.
- Living with nature
- Fantastic bushwalking experiences in a stunning environment
- Flexibility (listen to nature, observe, be flexible in your work, ...)
- Introduction in complex problems (nature and politics) and possible solutions
- Introduction and insights in Holistic Management
- Recognizing ecological problems or unbalances
- Getting in contact with global problems
- Comparison to Europe
- Transforming knowledge into practical skills
- Introduction in different working methods (non-mechanical)
- Understanding ecology in a holistic perspective
- Experience physical limits
- Extending ones horizon
- Introduction in fire ecology
- High level of independence: it's possible to develop ones own interests, such as botany or soil samples, etc.
- Insights in interdisciplinary fields of science like ecosystem management, soil science, relations between producers / consumers / destroyers, etc.
- Implementing this knowledge into practical solutions for the Kachana revitalization project
- A fantastic and very special experience: living outside in the tropical nature for a couple of months, working with a herd of cattle and learning how this herd works...
- Slaughtering and butchering out in nature: a unique experience!
- Financially unattractive for students
- It's not an English learning opportunity for Swiss or German students (the Henggeler family speaks German)
- There's not much social life on Kachana: one is often alone with itself... (which can be a good experience nonetheless)
- Depending on season and weather it can be very difficult to stand the heat...
- Strange experiences with animals (day and night)
- One can get airsick easily in bush airplanes