Quote of the Moment:
“Whatever you dream you can do, or believe you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it.”
Student Practical Work Experience
Pros and Contras
A list of positive and negative points collected by students who did a prac work on Kachana.
- Living with nature
- Fantastic bushwalking experiences in a stunning environment
- Flexibility (listen to nature, observe, be flexible in your work, ...)
- Introduction in complex problems (nature and politics) and possible solutions
- Introduction and insights in Holistic Management
- Recognizing ecological problems or unbalances
- Getting in contact with global problems
- Comparison to Europe
- Transforming knowledge into practical skills
- Introduction in different working methods (non-mechanical)
- Understanding ecology in a holistic perspective
- Experience physical limits
- Extending ones horizon
- Introduction in fire ecology
- High level of independence: it's possible to develop ones own interests, such as botany or soil samples, etc.
- Insights in interdisciplinary fields of science like ecosystem management, soil science, relations between producers / consumers / destroyers, etc.
- Implementing this knowledge into practical solutions for the Kachana revitalization project
- A fantastic and very special experience: living outside in the tropical nature for a couple of months, working with a herd of cattle and learning how this herd works...
- Slaughtering and butchering out in nature: a unique experience!
- Financially unattractive for students
- It's not an English learning opportunity for Swiss or German students (the Henggeler family speaks German)
- There's not much social life on Kachana: one is often alone with itself... (which can be a good experience nonetheless)
- Depending on season and weather it can be very difficult to stand the heat...
- Strange experiences with animals (day and night)
- One can get airsick easily in bush airplanes